About this download
Thank you for your continued interest in Sony products.
Sony is always concerned about quality and customer satisfaction and therefore is offering a firmware update for DSC-HX5V camera.
Please read all the information described below and follow the download procedure carefully to avoid any problems which may occur during the firmware update.
Improvements after firmware update
- This firmware update solves the issue that under certain circumstances, the clock settings of the DSC-HX5V may be reset when GPS date information is received.
How to confirm the model name and its serial number
The model name and its serial number of the camera are located on the sticker attached to the bottom of the camera.
Applicable serial number
- To determine whether your Digital Still Camera requires the firmware update, click here to validate the serial number.
Applicable firmware version
- DSC-HX5V with firmware version 01.
How to check the firmware version
- Press Play Back button on the camera while pushing zoom key to T side.
- Press MENU button on the camera.
- Select Setup on the camera.
- Main Setting is listed on the camera. Check the firmware version.
If the firmware version is 02 or later, the update is not required.
If the firmware version is 01, proceed with the firmware update as below.
- Windows XP* SP3
- Windows Vista** SP2
- Windows 7
* 64-bit and Starter editions are not supported.
** Starter edition is not supported.
Other system requirements
- Hard disk space: 200MB or more
- RAM: 512MB or more
* Please close all other application software before upgrading the firmware.
- USB cable supplied with the camera (when using battery pack)
- Power source for the camera
Fully charged rechargeable battery pack NP-BG1 or NP-FG1
AC adaptor AC-LS5A (sold separately) and cable VMC-MD2(sold separately)
Note: The upgrade can be performed only when the remaining battery level is(three marks) or more. We recommend that you use a fully charged battery or AC adaptor AC-LS5A (sold separately) and cable VMC-MD2 (sold separately).
File name: DSCHX5V2.exe
File size: 27.4 MB (28,792,192 bytes)
Updated on: 26th August 2010
- DSC-HX5V Firmware Update Version 02
- Windows Vista
- Windows XP
- When performing the firmware update, please use a fully charged rechargeable battery pack NP-BG1 or NP-FG1 or the AC adaptor AC-LS5A (sold separately).
- Do not remove the battery or AC adaptor during the update; otherwise, the camera may become inoperable due to the sudden power shutdown.
Start Firmware Updater
- Double-click DSCHX5V2.exe to start up Firmware Updater.
- Check the USB connection mode.
Select Menu → Setup → USB Connection on the camera, and confirm Mass Storage is selected.
Note: If the mode other than Mass Storage is selected, please select Mass Storage.
- Connect the camera to the computer with the supplied USB cable.
Note: When the camera is connected to the computer, the LCD screen of the camera turns off. Please proceed to the next step.
- Confirm is displayed on the task tray at the lower right corner of the computer screen.
- After confirming the above, click Next on Firmware Updater.
Figure 5a appears on Firmware Updater and Figure 5b appears on the LCD screen of the camera.
Note: From this step onwards, never turn off the camera until the firmware update is completed.
- After confirming the screens on Figures 5a and 5b, click Next. The current version and the version after the update appear on the lower left part of the screen.
Figure 6: Update is required
- After confirming the screen on Figure 6, click Next.
NOTE: If the screen on Figure 7 appears, the update is not required. According to the message, stop the USB connection and click Finish. Turn off the camera, remove the battery pack or the AC adaptor, and then turn on the camera again.
Figure 7: Update is not required
- Clickon the task tray at the lower right corner of the computer screen to stop the USB connection.
Note: Please keep the USB cable connected even after stopping the USB connection on the computer with the above operation.
- The message "Initialize this camera to update firmware" is display.
Press the center of the control wheel to select OK.
Note: The screen turns off when the center of the control wheel is pressed. Please proceed to the next step.
- After resetting, reconnection of the camera is verified, and the screen on Figure 10 appears.
- Click Run to start the update. The progress bar appears while updating.
Note: Never turn off the camera nor disconnect the USB cable while updating.
- When the update is completed, the screen on Figure 11 appears. Click Finish and disconnect the USB cable.
- Turn off the camera, remove the battery pack or the AC adaptor, and then turn on the camera again.
Confirm the firmware version
Press Play Back button on the camera while pushing zoom key to T side.
Press MENU button on the camera.
- Select Setup on the camera.
- Main Setting is listed on the camera.
The firmware version is displayed. The firmware update was completed successfully if Version 02 is displayed.
- If updating procedure was not completed successfully or the camera cannot turn on, please consult your local authorized Sony service facility.