Full Specifications & Features
- Lens Mount
- Sony E-mount lenses
- Lens Compatibility
- Sony E-mount lenses
- Sensor Type
- 35 mm
- 35 mm full frame (35.8 x 23.9mm) Exmor™ CMOS sensor
- Number Of Pixels (Effective)
- Number of Pixels (total)
- Approx. 24.7 megapixels
- Image Sensor Aspect Ratio
- Anti-Dust System
- Charge protection coating on Optical Filter and ultrasonic vibration mechanism
Recording (still images)
- Recording Format (Still images)
- JPEG (DCF Ver. 2.0 Exif Ver.2.3 MPF Baseline compliant) RAW (Sony ARW 2.3 format)
- Image Size (pixels), 3:2
- 35mm full frame L: 6000 x 4000 (24M) M: 3936 x 2624 (10M) S: 3008 x 2000 (6.0M) APS-C L: 3936 x 2624 (10M), M: 3008 x 2000 (6.0M), S: 1968 x 1312 (2.6M)
- Image Size (pixels), 16:9
- 35mm full frame L: 6000 x 3376 (20M), M: 3936 x 2216 (8.7M), S: 3008 x 1688 (5.1M) APS-C L: 3936 x 2216 (8.7M), M: 3008 x 1688 (5.1M), S: 1968 x 1112 (2.2M)
- Image Size (pixels), Sweep Panorama
- Wide: horizontal 12,416 x 1,856 (23M), vertical 5,536 x 2,160 (12M) Standard: horizontal 8,192 x 1,856 (15M), vertical 3,872 x 2,160 (8.4M)
- Image Quality Modes
- RAW RAW&JPEG JPEG Extra Fine JPEG Fine JPEG Standard
- RAW Output
- 14bit RAW
- Picture Effect
- 13 types: Posterization (Colour) Posterization (B/W) Pop Colour Retro Photo Partial Colour (R/G/B/Y) High Contrast Monochrome Toy Camera(Normal/Cool/Warm/Green/Magenta) Soft High-key Soft Focus(High/Mid/Low) HDR Painting(High/Mid/Low) Rich-tone Monochrome Miniature(Auto/Top/Middle(H)/Bottom/Right/Middle(V)/Left) Watercolour Illustration(High/Mid/ Low)
- Creative Style
- Standard Vivid Neutral Clear Deep Light Portrait Landscape Sunset Night Scene Autumn leaves Black & White Sepia Style Box(1-6) (Contrast (-3 to +3 steps) Saturation (-3 to +3 steps) Sharpness (-3 to +3 steps))
- Dynamic Range Functions
- Off, Dynamic Range Optimizer (Auto/Level (1-5)), Auto High Dynamic Range (Auto Exposure Difference, Exposure Difference Level (1-6 EV, 1.0 EV step))
- Recording Format (Movie)
- AVCHD 2.0 / MP4
- Video Compression
- AVCHD: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 MP4: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264
- Audio Recording Format
- AVCHD: Dolby Digital (AC-3) 2ch MP4: MPEG-4 AAC-LC 2ch
- Image Size (pixels), PAL
- AVCHD:1920 x 1080 (60p, 28M, PS) 1920 x 1080 (60i, 24M, FX) 1920 x 1080 (60i, 17M, FH) 1920 x 1080(24p, 24M, FX) 1920 x 1080(24p, 17M, FH) AVC MP4: 1440 x 1080(30fps) VGA(640 x 480, 30fps) MPEG 4: 720 Fine (1280 x 720, 30fps) 720 STD (1280 x 720, 30fps) VGA(640 x 480, 30fps)
- Movie Functions
- Audio Level Display,Audio Rec Level,Auto Slow Shutter,HDMI Info. Display
- Compatible Recording Media
- Memory Stick PRO Duo™ Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo™ Memory Stick XC-HG Duo SD memory card SDHC™ memory card SDXC™ memory card
- Noise Reduction
- Long exposure NR: On/Off , available at shutter speeds longer than 1 sec.
- Multi Frame NR
- Auto/ISO 100 to 51200
- White Balance Modes
- Auto Daylight Shade Cloudy Incandescent Fluorescent : Warm White / Cool White / Day White / Daylight Flash Colour Temperature 2500 to 9900K & colour filter G7 to M7(15-step), A7 to B7(15-step) Custom Underwater
- AWB Micro Adjustment
- G7 to M7, 15-step / A7 to B7, 15-step
- 3 frames, H/L selectable
- Focus Type
- Fast Hybrid AF(phase-detection AF/contrast-detection AF)
- Focus Sensor
- Exmor" CMOS sensor"
- Focus Point
- 35mm full frame: 117 points (phase-detection AF) APS-C: 99 points (phase-detection AF) / 25 points (conotrast-detection AF)
- Focus Sensitivity Range
- EV0 to EV20 (ISO100 equivalent with F2.8 lens attached)
- AF Mode
- AF-S (Single-shot AF), AF-C ( Continuous AF), DMF (Direct Manual Focus), Manual Focus
- Focus Area
- Multi Point (117 points (phase-detection AF), 25 points(contrast-detection AF)) / Zone / Center-weighted / Flexible Spot (S/M/L)
- Other Features
- Lock-on AF, Eye Focus, Predictive control, Focus lock, Eye-Start AF (only with LA-EA2 or LA-EA4 attached(Sold separately))
- AF Illuminator range
- Approx. 0.3m - approx. 3.0m (with FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS attached)
- Metering Type
- 1200-zone evaluative metering
- Metering Sensor
- Exmor" CMOS sensor"
- Metering Sensitivity
- EV0 to EV20 (at ISO100 equivalent with F2.8 lens attached)
- Metering Mode
- Multi-segment Center-weighted Spot
- Exposure Modes
- iAUTO Superior Auto Programmed AE (P) Aperture priority (A) Shutter-speed priority (S) Manual (M) Sweep Panorama Scene Selection Movie (Programmed AE (P) / Aperture priority (A) / Shutter-speed priority (S) / Manual (M) )
- Scene Selection
- Portrait Landscape Macro Sports action Sunset Night portrait Night scene Hand-held Twilight Anti Motion Blur
- Exposure Compensation
- +/- 5.0EV(1/3 EV, 1/2 EV steps selectable) (with exposure compensation dial : +/- 3EV (1/3 EV steps))
- Auto (AE) Bracketing
- Bracket: Cont./Bracket: Single, With 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV, 2/3 EV, 1.0 EV, 2.0 EV, 3.0 EV increments, 3/5 frames (2.0 EV, 3.0 EV : only 3 frames) selectable
- AE Lock
- Locked when shutter button is pressed halfway. Can be disabled from the Menu. Available with AE lock button.
- ISO Sensitivity (Recommended Exposure Index)
- ISO 50–25600
- Viewfinder Type
- 0.5"-type electronic viewfinder (colour)
- Number of Dots
- 2 359 296 dots
- Brightness Control (Viewfinder)
- Auto/Manual (5 steps between -2 and +2)
- Color Temperature Control
- Manual (5 steps)
- Field Coverage
- approx. 0.71 x (with 50mm lens at infinity, -1m-1) diopter
- Dioptre Adjustment
- -4.0 to +3.0m-1diopter
- Eye Point
- Approx. 27mm from the eyepiece lens, 22mm from the eyepiece frame at -1m-1 diopter (CIPA standard)
- Viewfinder Display
- Graphic Display,Display All Info, No Disp. Info, Digital Level Gauge, Histogram
- Real-time Image Adjustment Display
- Monitor Type
- 3.0" type TFT LCD
- Total Number of Dots
- 921,600 dots
- Brightness Control (LCD)
- Manual (5 steps between -2 and +2), Sunny Weather mode
- Adjustable Angle
- Up by approx. 90 degrees, Down by approx. 45 degrees
- LCD Display
- Graphic Display Display All Info No Disp. Info Level Histgram For viewfinder
- Real-time Image Adjustment Display (LCD)
- Focus Magnifier
- Yes Focus Magnifier (35mm full frame: 5.9x, 11.7x APS-C: 3.8x, 7.7x)
- Quick Navi
- Peaking MF
- Yes (Level setting: High/Mid/Low/Off, colour: White/Red/Yellow)
- Face Detection
- On/On (Regist. Faces) Off Face registration Face selection (Max. number of detectable faces: 8)
- Auto Object Framing
- Still images
- Clear Image Zoom
- Approx. 2x
- Smart zoom (Still Image)
- 35mm full frame: M:approx 1.5x, S:approx 2x APS-C: M:approx 1.3x, S:approx 2x
- Digital zoom (Still Image)
- 35mm full frame: L:approx 4x, M:approx 6.1x, S:approx 8x; APS-C: L:approx 4x, M:approx 5.2x, S:approx 8x
- Digital zoom (Movie)
- 35mm full frame: approx 4x APS-C: approx 4x
- PlayMemories Camera Apps™
- Lens Compensation
- Peripheral Shading, Chromatic Aberration, Distortion
- Image Processor
- BIONZ X™
- Yes (3 sec delay/OFF selectable)
- Smile Shutter
- Smile shutter (selectable from 3 steps)
- Touch Shutter
- Shutter Speed
- Still images:1/8000 to 30 sec, Bulb Movies: 1/8000 to 1/4(1/3 steps) up to 1/60 in AUTO mode (up to 1/30 in Auto slow shutter mode)
- Flash Sync. Speed
- 1/250 sec.
- Electronic Front Shutter Curtain
- Yes (On/Off)
- Not supported (image stabilisation supported on lens)
- Flash Control
- Pre-flash TTL
- Flash Compensation
- +/- 3.0 EV (switchable between 1/3 and 1/2 EV steps)
- Flash Modes
- Flash off Autoflash Fill-flash Slow Sync. Rear Sync. Red-eye reduction (on/off selectable) Hi-speed sync.(With compatible external flash) Wireless control (With compatible external flash)
- External Flash Compatibility
- Sony α System Flash compatible with Multi Interface Shoe, attach the shoe adaptor for flash compatible with Auto-lock accessory shoe
- Wireless Control
- Drive Modes
- Single Shooting Continuous shooting Speed Priority Continuous shooting Self-timer (10/2 sec delay selectable) Self-timer (Cont.) (with 10 sec delay 3/5 exposures selectable) Bracket Single Bracket Cont.,WB Bracket DRO Bracket
- Continuous Drive Speed (approx. max.)
- 5 fps (in Speed Priority Continuous Shooting mode)
- Playback Modes
- Single (with or without shooting information RGB histogram & highlight / shadow warning) 9/25-frame index view Enlarged display mode (L: 18.8x, M: 12.3x, S: 9.4x) Panorama (Standard): 25.6x, (Wide): 38.8x Auto Review (10/5/2 sec,Off) Image orientation (Auto/Manual/Off selectable) Slideshow Panorama scrolling Folder selection (Date/ Still/ MP4/ AVCHD) Forward/Rewind (movie) Delete Protect
- PC Interface
- Mass-storage, MTP, PC remote
- Yes (NFC forum Type 3 Tag compatible)
- HD Output
- HDMI micro connector BRAVIA Sync (link menu) PhotoTV HD 4K still image PB
- Multi Interface Shoe
- Headphone minijack, Microphone minijack, Multi/Micro USB Terminal, Multi Interface Shoe, Vertical Grip Connector
- Built-in stereo microphones or ECM-CG50/ XLR-K1M (sold separately)
- Built-in, monaural
- Compatible Standards
- Exif Print, Print Image Matching III, DPOF setting
- Supplied Battery
- NP-FW50 W-series Rechargeable Battery Pack
- Battery Life (Still Images)
- Up to 340 shots
- Battery Life (CIPA, Movies)
- Actual Recording:Approx. 60 minutes (Viewfinder), Approx 65 minutes (LCD screen) (CIPA standard) Continuous Recording:Approx. 100 minutes (Viewfinder), Approx 100 minutes (LCD screen) (CIPA standard)
- External Power
- AC Adaptor AC-PW20 (sold separately)
- Internal Battery Charge
Size & Weight
- Dimensions (W x H x D)
- 126.9 x 94.4 x 54.8mm, 126.9 x 94.4 x 48.2mm (from grip to monitor); 5 x 3 3/4 x 2 1/4 in., 5 x 3 3/4 x 1 15/16 in. (from grip to monitor)
- Weight (with battery and memory card included)
- 416 g (Body Only) / 474 g (With battery and media)
- View on Smartphone
- Upload to PC
- View on TV
- Wireless & Network Capabilities
- Downloadable Camera Apps, NFC One-touch functionality, Wi-Fi
- Compatible OS
- Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8, Mac OS X (v10.5-v10.8)
- Continuous movie recording is possible for approximately 29 minutes (limited by product specifications).
- Indicated recording time is defined by repeating the following cycle: Power on, start recording, zoom, stand-by and power off.
- Indicated recording time is defined by repeating the following cycle: Pressing the MOVIE button. No other operations such as zoom are performed.
What's In The Box
- Power cord
- Rechargeable Battery NP-FW50
- AC Adaptor AC-UB10
- Shoulder strap
- Body cap
- Accessory shoe cap
- Eyepiece cup
- Micro USB cable
24.3 MP 35mm full frame sensor
Sony, one of the world's leading makers of image sensors, combined its top new technologies to achieve the high resolution and image quality in history. This revolutionary 35mm full-frame Exmorª CMOS image sensor collects light with record efficiency to achieve high sensitivity, a wide dynamic range and an incredible new level of realism while significantly reducing noise.
The exceptional performance of the image sensor was achieved through various advanced sensor features. First, compressing circuitry height dramatically increases the amount of light collected by each pixel, while photodiode expansion technology increased the size of the photodiode at every pixel to improve the sensor's dynamic range and further raise sensitivity while maintaining low noise and achieving a high S/N ratio.
BIONZ X processor
Sony proudly introduces the new BIONZ X image processing engine, which faithfully reproduces textures and details in real time, as seen by the naked eye, via extra high-speed processing capabilities. Together with front-end LSI (large scale integration) that accelerates processing in the earliest stages, it enables more natural details, more realistic images, richer tonal gradations and lower noise whether you shoot still images or movies.
Detail reproduction and diffraction reduction
Two new technologies bring out the full performance of sensor and lenses. Detail reproduction technology prevents the overemphasized outlines that plague most digital images. Diffraction reduction suppresses the effects of diffraction, which causes points of light to appear blurred especially at small aperture settings (large F-numbers). By taking the aperture setting into account, this technology faithfully restores clarity to points of light and other fine details, for beautiful landscapes, portraiture, and more.
Area-specific noise reduction
Area-specific noise reduction is now more powerful than ever. It selectively divides the image into areas based on patterns (such as edges, textures and evenly coloured areas like blue skies), and then applies the most appropriate noise reduction for each area to improve image quality, especially at high-sensitivity settings. Working together with Sony's detail reproduction, it gives supremely clear, detailed images.
16-bit processing + 14-bit RAW
16-bit image processing and 14-bit RAW output help preserve maximum detail and produce images of the highest quality with rich tonal gradations. The 14-bit RAW (Sony ARW) format ensures optimal quality for later image adjustment (via Image Data Converter or other software).
Controls, customization and navigation
Despite compact dimensions, the α7 features front and rear dials for intuitive setting of exposure, a control wheel for setting ISO, and an exposure compensation dial. Quick Navi Pro displays all major shooting options on the LCD screen so you can rapidly confirm settings and make adjustments as desired without searching through dedicated menus. Button customization empowers you to shoot just the way you like, with frequently used functions assigned to the customizable buttons of your choice. You can easily assign any of 46 functions to any of 9 buttons; up to 12 key functions can be assigned to the Fn button for quick access.
Tiltable LCD screen
7.5 cm, 1.2 million dot LCD offers high resolution and flexible composition options.
Magnesium alloy body
Thanks to this outstandingly light and strong metal, the α7 weighs 474 grams with battery—less than half the weight of leading DSLRs—but has the durability for years of performance.
Substantial, ergonomic grip
The α7 is 25% less bulky than leading DSLRs, but still features a full-size grip for all-day shooting comfort.
Anti-dust system and coating
To keep your photos blemish free, an anti-dust mechanism vibrates ultrasonically whenever you switch off the camera to remove any particles adhering to the image sensor. An anti-static coating also helps prevent dust and other particles from adhering to the sensor when changing lenses.
Dust and moisture resistance
Durability-enhancing measures include sealing around the buttons and dials, as well as a protective double-layered structure that tightly interlocks panels and components.
XGA OLED Tru-Finder
This viewfinder features high 1024x768 resolution, OLED improvements and the same 3-lens optical system used in the flagship α99 despite the compact body. The viewfinder displays the effects of your camera settings, so you can accurately monitor the results. You'll enjoy rich tonal gradations and three times the contrast of the α99. High-end features like 100% frame coverage, wide viewing angle, information display modes, peaking function, and focus magnifier are also provided.
The unique combination of 35mm full-frame sensor, audio production features and flexible lens interchangeability means a new level of portable moviemaking. The new accelerated BIONZ X image-processing engine also enables area-specific noise reduction and detail reproduction technology to be applied to movies for the very first time, resulting in ultra-fine detail and exceptionally low noise. Features like Picture Effect, full HDMI output for an external monitor, P/A/S/M modes, and full 1080p AVCHD Progressive format, and the choice of 60p/24p recording further expand the options.
Audio recording & monitoring
During movie recording and playback, you can monitor the sound using headphones connected to the α7 via the headphone jack, check levels with the display controls, or attach professional sound gear using the industry-standard XLR terminal adaptor kit.
Enhanced Fast Hybrid Autofocus
Numerous features contribute to the α7's autofocus capabilities: the new lightning-fast BIONZ X, high-speed full-frame image sensor output, and a newly developed Spatial Object Detection AF algorithm that conducts focusing analysis in real-time using spatial frequency information to optimally control the lens drive.
Even when capturing a subject partially turned away from the camera with a shallow depth of field, the face will be sharply focused thanks to extremely accurate eye detection that can prioritize a single pupil. A green frame appears over the prioritized eye when focus has been achieved for easy confirmation. Eye AF can be used when the function is assigned to a customizable button, allowing users to instantly activate it depending on the scene.
Lock-on Autofocus and area setting options
Lock-on AF adjusts the target frame size based on subject characteristics and makes use of a wide AF area to ensure usage of the optimal AF point for smooth, stable autofocusing. Just press the shutter button halfway to activate it. New BIONZ X ensures swifter subject tracking and detection performance than ever before. When using the Flexible Spot AF area setting, you can select a small, medium-sized or large AF area to match the size of your subject and help ensure the camera focuses on the intended area. Wide and Zone focus area settings are also available.
New AF area setting options
When using the Flexible Spot AF area setting, you can select a small, medium-sized or large AF area to match the size of your subject and help ensure the camera focuses on the intended area. Wide and Zone focus area settings are also available.
Full HD 60p video
Create movies of amazing clarity that play extra smoothly by recording them at Full HD resolution (1920 x 1080 pixels) in the AVCHD Ver. 2.0 (Progressive) format - at the extremely high frame rate of 60 fps. The α7 also supports 24p movie recording, which gives your movies a subtle look that movie lovers everywhere associate with the cinema.
One-touch remote and one-touch sharing
One-touch remote lets you use your smartphone or tablet as a viewfinder and remote control for a digital camera, and one-touch sharing lets you transfer your photos and videos from your camera. Either way, by installing Imaging Edge Mobile app to your NFC-enabled Android smartphone or tablet, you can avoid complex set-up sequences and establish wireless connection simply by touching your device to the camera. You are now ready to control your camera from your smartphone to take a photo from a previously out-of-reach spot, or simply be in your own group shot, as well as transfer them instantly to your smartphone for sharing on SNS. No NFC? No problem. You can also pair the devices manually.
Capture One (for Sony)
Capture One Express (for Sony) is free software for high-quality finishing of RAW data. Capture One Pro (for Sony) can be bought for such compatible functions as local adjustment and PC tethered shooting.
Works with iMovie and Final Cut Pro X
This product is compatible with Final Cut Pro X and iMovie.
Imaging Edge™ Remote, Viewer, and Edit
Elevate your photography with Imaging Edge desktop applications. Use "Remote" to remotely control shooting; "Viewer" to quickly preview, rate, and select photos from large image libraries; and "Edit" to develop RAW data into high-quality photos for delivery. Get the best from Sony RAW files, and manage your productions more efficiently.