Full Specifications & Features
- Sensor Type
- 1/2.3 type(7.76mm) back-illuminated Exmor R CMOS Sensor
- Effective Pixels (Video)
- approx. 8.29 Megapixels(16:9)
- Effective Pixels (Still Image)
- approx. 10.3 Megapixels(16:9)/approx. 7.74 Megapixels(4:3)
- Image Processor
- BIONZ X image processor
- Lens Type
- ZEISS Vario-Sonnar T*
- Filter Diameter
- Lens Cover
- Focal Distance
- f = 3.8-38.0mm
- Focal Length (35mm equivalent) (Video)
- Focal Length (35mm equivalent) (Still Image)
- f=26.8-268.0mm(16:9), f=32.8-328.0mm(4:3)
- Minimum Focus Distance
- approx.1cm(Wide), approx.80cm(Tele), approx.13/32inch(Wide), approx.31 1/2inch(Tele)
- Iris Diaphragm
- 6 blades
- Optical Zoom
- Clear Image Zoom
- 4K : 15x HD : 20x
- Digital Zoom
- Viewfinder Type
- 0.6cm(0.24 type)/Color 1 555 200dots equivalent
- Field of View
- Diopter adjustment
- Yes (-4.0 to +3.0 m
style name="sup" -1 /style )
- Screen Type
- 7.5cm(3.0 type) Xtra Fine LCD™ display(921 600dots) Wide(16:9)
- Touch Panel
- Brightness Control
- Marker/Grid Display
- Grid Line
- Angle Adjustment
- Opening Angle:max.90 deg., Turning Angle:max.270 deg.
- Image Stabilisation Type
- Balanced Optical SteadyShot™ image stabilisation w/ Active mode (Wide to Tele)
- Focus Type
- Contrast AF
- Focus Mode
- Auto/Manual(Touch Panel/Ring)
- Focus Area
- Full range Focus/Spot Focus
- Lock-On AF
- Manual Focus Assist
- Magnified display for precise manual focus, Peaking Display
- Auto, Flexible Spot(Touch Panel), Manual(Menu/Ring)
- Metering Modes
- Exposure Compensation
- AE Shift(Touch Panel/Ring)
- LOW LUX Mode
- Auto Iris Control
- Manual Iris Control
- Manual Exposure Assist
- Zebra Pattern Display
- Backlight Compensation
- Gain Control
- AGC Limit
- Minimum Illumination
- 4K:Standard:9 lux(1/50 Shutter Speed) HD:Standard:6 lux(1/50 Shutter Speed), 4K:Low Lux 5 lux(1/25 Shutter Speed) HD:Low Lux 3lux(1/25 Shutter Speed), NightShot:0 lux(1/50 Shutter Speed)
- Auto Control Range
- Manual Iris Control (Photo mode)
- Manual Shutter
- Smooth Slow
- White Balance Modes
- White Balance Shift
- Flash Metering System
- Pre-flash TTL
- Flash Compensation
- Yes(3 steps)
- Flash Mode
- Media Type
- XAVC S 4K(100Mbps) : SDXC Memory Card(UHS-I U3 or Higher), XAVC S 4K(60Mbps) : SDXC Memory Card(Class10 or Higher), XAVC S HD : SDXC Memory Card(Class10 or Higher), AVCHD, Still: Memory Stick PRO Duo (Mark 2), Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo, Memory Stick XC-HG Duo, SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Card(Class 4 or Higher)
- Recording Format (Video)
- XAVC S format:MPEG4-AVC/H.264, AVCHD format ver.2.0 compatible:MPEG4-AVC/H.264, MP4: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264
- Video Resolution
- XAVC S 4K : 3840x2160/25p, 24p, XAVC S HD : 1920x1080/50p, 25p, 24p, AVCHD : 1920x1080/50p(PS), 25p(FX, FH), 24p(FX, FH), 50i(FX, FH), 1440x1080/50i(HQ, LP), MP4: 1280x720 25p
- Video Recording Rate (ABR / VBR)
- XAVC S 4K: approx.100Mbps, XAVC S 4K: approx.60Mbps, XAVC S HD: approx.50Mbps, AVCHD PS:approx.28Mbps/FX:approx.24Mbps/FH:approx.17Mbps/HQ:approx.9Mbps/LP:approx.5Mbps, MP4: approx.3Mbps
- Recording Format (Still Image)
- JPEG (DCF Ver.2.0, Exif Ver.2.3, MPF Baseline compliant)
- Still Image Size (Photo Mode)
- L: 20.6 Megapixels 16:9 (6048x3400), 15.4 Megapixels 4:3 (4528x3400), M: 10.3 Megapixels 16:9 (4288x2408), 7.7 Megapixels 4:3 (3216x2408), S: 2.1 Megapixels 16:9 (1920x1080), 0.3 Megapixels 4:3 (640x480)
- Still Image Size (Movie Mode)
- M: 10.3 Megapixels 16:9 (4288x2408), S: 2.1 Megapixels 16:9 (1920x1080)
- Still Image Size (Dual Record)
- M: 10.3 Megapixels 16:9 (4288x2408), S: 2.1 Megapixels 16:9 (1920x1080)
- Built-in Zoom Microphone
- Audio Recording Format
- MPEG-4 Linear PCM 2ch(48kHz/16bit), Dolby Digital 5.1ch, Dolby Digital 5.1Creator, Dolby Digital 2ch Stereo, Dolby Digital Stereo Creator, MPEG-4 AAC-LC 2ch
- Mic Level Control
- Auto Wind Noise Reduction
- My Voice Canceling
- Monaural Speaker
- High Speed Rec
- Scene Selection
- Auto/Night Scene/Sunrise & Sunset/Fireworks/Landscape/Portrait/Spotlight/Beach/Snow
- NightShot infrared System
- Other Features
- Face Detection, Cinematone, Golf Shot, Smooth Slow Rec, Fader Effect(s)(White/Black), Intelligent Auto(Portrait/Baby/Walk/Tripod/Backlight/Landscape/Spotlight/Twilight/Macro/Low light/Auto wind noise reduction), Smile Shutter(Off/Dual Capture/Always On ), Red Eye Reduction(Yes), Direct Copy
- Fast Playback
- About 5 times/10 times/30 times/60 times
- Slow Playback
- Forward:1/5 speed, Reverse:1/2 speed
- Trimming Playback
- Highlight Movie Maker
- Yes, Highlight BGM(Preinstalled 6 music files)
- Motion Shot Video
- Slide Show (Still Image)
- Slide Show
- Yes(Wi-Fi Compatible, IEEE 802.11b/g/n(2.4GHz band) )
- Yes (NFC forum Type 3 Tag compatible)
- Live Streaming
- Multi Camera Control
Terminal / Shoe
- Accessory Shoe
- Yes(Multi Interface Shoe)
- HDMI Terminal
- Yes (HDMI micro)
- Multi/Micro USB Terminal
- Remote Terminal
- integrated into Multi/Micro USB Terminal
- STD Output
- Composite Video Out(AV CABLE(sold separately))
- Microphone Input
- Stereo Minijack
- Headphone Jack
- Stereo Minijack
- Memory Card Slot
- Memory Stick PRO Duo and SD/SDHC/SDXC compatible
- DC IN
- Battery Type
- InfoLITHIUM with AccuPower Meter System (V Series)
- Power Consumption (LCD)
- Power Consumption (Viewfinder)
- Power Requirements
- 6.8V/7.3V (battery pack), 8.4V (AC Adaptor)
- Charge on camcorder(Charging time with supplied Battery)
- Yes(approx. 3h 25min)
- USB Charging
- DC 5V 1500mA
Size & Weight
- Dimensions (W x H x D) (including supplied battery)
- Approx.71mm x 78.5mm x 149.5mm(Approx.71mm x 78.5mm x 155mm(NP-FV70)/Approx.71mm x 78.5mm x 161mm(NP-FV70A)(including supplied battery)), Approx.2 7/8inch x 3 1/8inch x 6inch(Approx.2 7/8inch x 3 1/8inch x 6 1/8inch(NP-FV70)/Approx.2 7/8inch x 3 1/8inch x 6 3/8inch(NP-FV70A)(including supplied battery))
- Weight (main unit only)
- Approx.600g, Approx.1lb 5oz
- Weight (including supplied battery)
- Approx.650g(NP-FV50A), Approx.700g(NP-FV70)/Approx.690g(NP-FV70A)(supplied battery), Approx.745g(NP-FV100A), Approx.1lb 6.9oz(NP-FV50A), Approx.1lb 8.7oz(NP-FV70)/Approx.1lb 8.3oz(NP-FV70A)(supplied battery), Approx.1lb 10.2oz(NP-FV100A)
What's In The Box
- Rechargeable Battery Pack(NP-FV70/NP-FV70A) (1), AC Adaptor (1), Power Cord (1), Operating Guide(1), HDMI(micro) Cable (1), USB Connection Support Cable (1)
4K image quality
Shoot 4K footage that contains about four times more detail than Full HD (3840 x 2160 pixels vs. 1920 x 1080) footage, and capture more of the incredible qualities that bring images to vibrant life.
Extra-light, extra-compact body
The FDR-AX33 is over 30% smaller and over 20% lighter than current model the FDR-AX100, making it the most mobile 4K camcorder on the market.
Balanced Optical SteadyShot™
Our advanced image stabilisation enables blur-free footage, even when the recording circumstances are shaky or bumpy.
Advanced shooting features
Enjoy total customisation with ergonomic manual controls. Use the intuitive multi-purpose manual ring to adjust zoom, focus, exposure, IRIS, shutter speed, AE shift, or white balance shift mode after using the manual button to select the mode. The electronic viewfinder offers accurate image preview.
Super-sampled Full HD playback
Enhance your viewing experience even without a 4K television. Using super-sampling, the FDR-AX33 automatically down-converts 4K footage to exceptionally detailed Full HD.
You can select a specific portion of the picture and play it back in Full HD, thanks to 4K high resolution. Also, you can change trimming size with the zoom lever or on-screen display icon.
Multi Camera Control
More shots mean more editing opportunities. Easily record footage from a variety of angles, whether using cameras mounted directly to the FDR-AX33 or triggered wirelessly. Multi Camera Control makes it easy to sync shooting settings on all devices.
Live Streaming via Ustream (currently IBM Cloud Video)
From performances to sports events, some things are best seen in real time. Share scenes as they happen with high-quality picture and sound.
Highlight Movie Maker
A versatile function to streamline movie editing, Highlight Movie Maker offers several time-saving features. Add highlight points to key moments while recording, and let the camcorder automatically sync your transitions to your chosen soundtrack.
Exmor R™ CMOS sensor
This cutting-edge sensor enhances image clarity, reduces noise in dark environments, and enables soft background defocusing.
BIONZ X™ image processor
The advanced BIONZ X image processing engine helps achieve more naturally vivid and lifelike image quality as well as faster processing capabilities.
Wide-angle ZEISS Vario-Sonnar T* lens
This 29.8mm wide-angle ZEISS lens providing 10x optical zoom is not only ideal for capturing grand landscapes, among a range of other scenes — it is fine-tuned specifically for 4K.
Exceptional image quality
By employing XAVC S format, which was developed from the XAVC format for professional use, 4K Ultra HD and high-bitrate recording of incredible quality are realised. Yet, XAVC S data is compressed so that it is more manageable for general consumers.
20.6MP still image capture
Sometimes you don’t need — or want — video. Put your video camera in still image mode and capture amazing high-quality single images as easily as you do with a still camera.
Superb night shooting
This feature uses infrared light to take pictures even in complete darkness. By using NIGHTSHOT, parents can easily capture children’s cute sleeping faces.
Motion Shot Video
This convenient feature allows playback of a dramatic sequence of superimposed images to trace every split second of action, a powerful tool for analysing sports motion on screen. During playback, you can adjust the interval between images, or pause to capture still images to share with friends.
Dual Video Recording
Record two movies at the same time — one in the maximum-quality XAVC S or AVCHD format and another in MP4 format. That way you’ve got a small file ready for instant sharing, plus a professional-grade file for further editing.
Face Detection and Smile Shutter
Use Face Detection to optimise focus, exposure and colour for people who are the most important subject of a shot. You can prioritise a subject’s face by touching it on the LCD. And with Smile Shutter, the FDR-AX33 can also automatically capture still shots of great (but fleeting) smiles, even while recording movies.
Enhances the tracking of moving subjects by using the optimal AF point at all times, and adjusting the target frame size to match your subject’s characteristics. Thanks to advances in phase-detection AF, it’s now more accurate than ever — so lock on and shoot fast-moving targets with precision.
Record clear sound that accurately captures the atmosphere of the scene, and enjoy surround sound playback on your home theatre system. Level meters on the LCD panel provide visual monitoring of each channel’s levels.
Auto Wind Noise Reduction
Using an advanced sound-analysis algorithm, this feature eliminates wind noise — the biggest culprit of bad outdoor audio.
My Voice Cancelling
Reduce the intensity of behind-camera sounds, whether you are talking to or cheering on your subject as you shoot.
Analyse your swing with no need for fancy equipment. Golf Shot mode lets you capture video and stills of each step of your swing.
Xtra Fine LCD with WhiteMagic™
The high-precision Xtra Fine LCD features a WhiteMagic display that uses white pixels in addition to RGB pixels to boost screen brightness, allowing users to see subtle details and tones on the screen in all types of shooting environments, including outdoors in bright sunlight.
Built-in USB cable
The built-in USB cable stowed in the hand strap is very convenient for extra-quick charging and connection to a PC, so there is no need to pack a bulky extra USB cable or AC adapter. For charging without a PC, use a compact AC-USB adapter (optional).
New software is now available.
Power up your camera to further enhance shooting ease.