Full Specifications & Features
- Sensor Type
- 1.0-type (13.2mm x 8.8mm) Exmor RS CMOS sensor, aspect ratio 3:2
- Number of Pixels (Effective)
- Approx. 20.1 Megapixels
- Lens type
- ZEISS Vario-Sonnar T* Lens, 15 elements in 12 groups (8 aspheric elements including AA (advanced aspherical) lens)
- F-number (Maximum Aperture)
- Focal length
- ANGLE OF VIEW (35MM FORMAT EQUIVALENT) (STILL IMAGE)
- Focus Range (From the Front of the Lens)
- AF (W: Approx. 8cm (0.27 ft.) to Infinity, T: Approx. 100cm (3.29 ft.) to Infinity)
- Optical Zoom
- Clear Image Zoom (Still Image)
- 20M Approx. 16x / 10M Approx. 22x / 5.0M Approx. 32x / VGA Approx. 121x
- Clear Image Zoom (Movie)
- 4K: Approx. 12x,HD: Approx. 16x
- Digital Zoom (Still Image)
- 20M Approx.32x / 10M Approx.44x / 5.0M Approx.64x / VGA Approx.121x
- Digital Zoom (Movie)
- Filter Diameter
- Screen Type
- 7.5cm(3.0-type)(4:3) / 921,600 dots / Xtra Fine / TFT LCD
- Adjustable Angle
- Up by approx. 180 degrees, down by approx. 90 degrees
- Display Selector (Finder/Lcd)
- MS Assist Magnification
- Touch Panel
- Screen Type/Number of Dots
- 0.39-type electronic viewfinder(OLED), 2,359,296dots
- Field Coverage
- Approx. 0.59x with 50mm lens at infinity, -1m-1(diopter) (35mm equiv.)
- Eye Point
- Approx.20mm from the eyepiece, 19.8mm from the eyepiece frame at -1m-1(diopter) (CIPA standard)
- Dioptre Adjustment
- -4.0 to +3.0m-1
- Brightness Control
- Auto, Manual(5steps)
- Image Processing Engine
- Yes (BIONZ X)
- Optical,Yes (Intelligent Active Mode, Optical type with electronic compensation, Anti Rolling type)
- Focus Type
- Fast Hybrid AF(phase-detection AF/contrast-detection AF)
- Focus Mode
- Single-shot AF,Automatic AF,Continuous AF,DMF,Manual Focus
- Focus Area
- Wide (315 points (phase-detection AF), 25 points(contrast-detection AF)),Zone,Center,Flexible Spot (S/M/L),Expanded Flexible Spot,Lock on AF(Wide/Zone/Center/Flexible Spot(S/M/L)/Expanded Flexible Spot)
- LOCK ON AF
- Light Metering Mode
- Multi Pattern,Center Weighted,Spot,Entire Screen Avg,Highlight
- Exposure Compensation
- +/- 3.0EV, 1/3EV step
- ISO Sensitivity (Still Image)(Recommended Exposure Index)
- Auto(ISO125-12800, selectable with upper / lower limit),125/160/200/250/320/400/500/640/800/1000/1250/1600/2000/2500/3200/4000/5000/6400/8000/10000/12800 (Extendable to ISO80/100),Multi-Frame NR:Auto(ISO125-12800), 200/400/800/1600/3200/6400/12800/25600
- ISO Sensitivity (Movie)
- Auto:(ISO125Level-ISO12800Level, selectable with upper / lower limit), 125/160/200/250/320/400/500/640/800/1000/1250/1600/2000/2500/3200/4000/5000/6400/8000/10000/12800
- Minimum Illumination (Movie)
- Auto:2.9lux(Shutter Speed 1/30")
- White Balance Modes
- Auto,Daylight,Shade,Cloudy,Incandescent,Fluor.: Warm White,Fluor.: Cool White,Fluor.: Day White,Fluor.: Daylight,Flash,Underwater Auto,C.Temp./Filter,Custom
- WB Micro Adjustment
- Yes(G7 to M7,57-step)(A7 to B7,29-step)
- Shutter Speed
- iAuto(4" - 1/2000) / Program Auto(30" - 1/2000) / Manual(Bulb, 30" - 1/2000) / Aperture Priority(30" - 1/2000) / Shutter Priority(30" - 1/2000)
- Electronic Shutter
- iAuto(4" - 1/32000) / Program Auto(30" - 1/32000) / Manual(30" - 1/32000) / Aperture Priority(30" - 1/32000) / Shutter Priority(30" - 1/32000)
- iAuto(F2.8/F11(W)) / Program Auto(F2.8/F11(W)) / Manual(F2.8/F11(W)) / Shutter Priority(F2.8/F11(W)) / Aperture Priority(F2.8/F11(W))
- Image Control
- Contrast,Saturation,Sharpness,Creative Style,Color Space(sRGB / Adobe RGB),Quality(RAW / RAW&JPEG ( Extra fine, Fine, Standard) / JPEG ( Extra fine, Fine, Standard)
- Noise Reduction
- Long exposure NR:On/Off, available of shutter speeds longer than 1/3 sec.,high ISO NR:Normal/Low/Off,Multi Frame NR: Auto, ISO200-25600
- Dynamic Range Functions
- Off, Dynamic Range Optimizer (Auto/Level 1-5), Auto High Dynamic Range (Auto Exposure Difference, Exposure difference Level (1.0-6.0EV, 1.0EV step))
- Shooting Mode
- AUTO(Intelligent Auto/Superior Auto),Program Auto,Aperture Priority,Shutter Speed Priority,Manual Exposure,MR(Memory Recall) [body 3 sets / memory card 4 sets],Movie Mode(Program Auto, Aperture Priority, Shutter Speed Priority, Manual Exposure),HFR Mode(Program Auto, Aperture Priority, Shutter Speed Priority, Manual Exposure),Panorama,Scene Selection
- Scene Selection
- Portrait,Sports Action,Macro,Landscape,Sunset,Night Scene,Handheld Twilight,Night Portrait,Anti Motion Blur,Pet Mode,Gourmet,Fireworks,High Sensitivity
- Continuous Shooting Speed (maximum) (with max. recording pixels)
- Continuous Shooting Hi: approx. 24 fps, Continuous Shooting Mid: approx. 10 fps, Continuous Shooting Low: approx. 3.0 fps
- 10sec. / 5sec. / 2sec. / 3 or 5 consecutive shots with 10sec. 5sec. or 2sec. delay selectable / Bracketing shots with 10sec. 5sec. or 2sec. delay selectable
- Drive Modes
- Single,Continuous shooting(Hi/Mid/Lo),Self-timer,Self-timer(cont.),Cont.-bracketing,Single-bracketing,White balance bracketing,DRO bracketing
- Panorama (Shooting)
- Sweep Panorama
- Picture Effect
- Still Image:Toy camera,Still Image:Pop Color,Still Image:Posterization,Still Image:Retro Photo,Still Image:Soft High-key,Still Image:Partial Color,Still Image:High Contrast Mono.,Still Image:Soft Focus,Still Image:HDR Painting,Still Image:Richtone Monochrome,Still Image:Miniature,Still Image:Watercolor,Still Image:Illustration,Movie:Toy camera,Movie:Pop Color,Movie:Posterization,Movie:Retro Photo,Movie:Soft High-key,Movie:Partial Color,Movie:High Contrast Mono.
- Creative Style
- Standard, Vivid, Neutral, Clear, Deep, Light, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, Night Scene, Autumn Leaves, Black & White, Sepia, Style Box
- Picture Profile
- off/PP1-PP10(Black Level, Gamma(Movie, Still, Cine1-2, ITU709, ITU709 [800%], S-Log2, S-log3, HLG, HLG1, HLG2, HLG3), Black Gamma, Knee, Color Mode, Saturation, Color Phase, Color Depth, Detail, Copy, Reset)
- Number of Recognised Scenes
- Still Image:Superior Auto: 44 / iAuto: 33,Movie:44
- Flash Mode
- Auto / Flash On / Slow Synchro / Rear Sync / Flash Off
- Flash Type
- Built-in, manual pop-up
- AF Illuminator
- Auto / Off
- Flash Range
- ISO Auto: Approx.0.4m to 5.9m (1.31 ft. to 19.35 ft.) (W) / Approx. 1.0m to 3.1m (3.28 ft. to 10.17 ft.) (T), ISO12800: up to Approx. 12.4m (40.68 ft.) (W) / Approx. 7.0m (22.96 ft.) (T)
- Compatible Recording Media
- Memory Stick Duo,Memory Stick PRO Duo,Memory Stick PRO Duo(High Speed),Memory Stick PROHG Duo,Memory Stick Micro,Memory Stick Micro (Mark2),SD Memory Card,SDHC Memory Card(UHS-I),SDXC Memory Card(UHS-I),microSD Memory Card,microSDHC Memory Card,microSDXC Memory Card
- Recording Format
- Still Image:JPEG(DCF Ver.2.0,Exif Ver.2.31,MPF Baseline compliant), RAW (Sony ARW 2.3 format),Movie:XAVC S,Movie:AVCHD format Ver.2.0 compatible
- Recording Format (Movie Audio)
- XAVC S:LPCM 2ch,AVCHD:Dolby Digital(AC-3) 2ch(Dolby Digital Stereo Creator)
- Colour Space (Still)
- sRGB, Adobe RGB
- Still Image Number of recorded pixels (Image Size)
- 3:2mode:20M(5,472×3,648) / 10M(3,888×2,592) / 5M(2,736×1,824),4:3mode:18M(4,864×3,648) / 10M(3,648×2,736) / 5M(2,592×1,944) / VGA,16:9mode:17M(5,472×3,080) / 7.5M(3,648×2,056) / 4.2M(2,720×1,528),1:1mode:13M(3,648×3,648) / 6.5M(2,544×2,544) / 3.7M(1,920×1,920) ,Sweep Panorama:Wide(12,416×1,856/5,536×2,160),Standard(8,192×1,856/3,872×2,160)
- Movie Recording Mode (NTSC)
- NTSC/PAL Selector: [NTSC] AVCHD: 24M FX(1,920x1,080/60i) / 17M FH(1,920x1,080/60i), XAVC S 4K: 30p 100M(3,840x2,160/30p) / 30p 60M(3,840x2,160/30p) / 24p 100M(3,840x2,160/24p) / 24p 60M(3,840x2,160/24p), XAVC S HD:60p 50M(1,920x1,080/60p) / 60p 25M(1,920x1,080/60p) / 30p 50M(1,920x1,080/30p) / 30p 16M(1,920x1,080/30p) / 24p 50M(1,920x1,080/24p) / 120p 100M(1,920x1,080/120p) / 120p 60M(1,920x1,080/120p)
- Movie Recording Mode (PAL)
- NTSC/PAL Selector: [PAL] mode AVCHD: 24M FX(1,920x1,080/50i) / 17M FH(1,920x1,080/50i), XAVC S 4K: 25p 100M(3,840x2,160/25p) / 25p 60M(3,840x2,160/25p), XAVC S HD:50p 50M(1,920x1,080/50p) / 50p 25M(1,920x1,080/50p) / 25p 50M(1,920x1,080/25p) / 25p 16M(1,920x1,080/25p) / 100p 100M(1,920x1,080/100p) / 100p 60M(1,920x1,080/100p)
Recording NTSC/PAL Selector: [PAL] mode XAVC S HD:50p 50M(1,920x1,080/250fps), 50p 50M(1,920x1,080/500fps), 50p 50M(1,920x1,080/1000fps) / 25p 50M(1,920x1,080/250fps), 25p 50M(1,920x1,080/500fps), 25p 50M(1,920x1,080/1000fps), NTSC/PAL Selector: [NTSC] mode XAVC S HD:60p 50M(1,920x1,080/240fps), 60p 50M(1,920x1,080/480fps), 60p 50M(1,920x1,080/960fps) / 30p 50M(1,920x1,080/240fps), 30p 50M(1,920x1,080/480fps), 30p 50M(1,920x1,080/960fps) / 24p 50M(1,920x1,080/240fps), 24p 50M(1,920x1,080/480fps), 24p 50M(1,920x1,080/960fps) Sensor Readout Number of effective pixels Quality Priority:240fps/250fps(1,824x1,026),480fps/500fps(1,824x616),960fps/1000fps(1,244x420)/Shoot Time Priority:240fps/250fps(1,824x616),480fps/500fps(1,292x436),960fps/1000fps(912x308)
- Still Image Number of recorded pixels (Image Size) during Movie
- 16:9mode:17M(5,472×3,080) / 7.5M(3,648×2,056) / 4.2M(2,720×1,528)
- Proxy Recording
- Input and Output Terminals
- Multi/Micro USB Terminal, Hi-Speed USB (USB2.0), Micro HDMI
- NFC forum Type 3 Tag compatible, One-touch remote, One-touch sharing
- Yes(IEEE802.11b/g/n(2.4GHz band))
- Yes (Bluetooth Standard Ver. 4.1 (2.4GHz band))
- Power source
- DC3.6V(supplied battery) / DC5.0V(supplied AC Adaptor)
- Battery System
- Rechargeable battery pack NP-BX1
- Power Consumption (Camera Mode)
- Approx. 2.3W with LCD monitor and approx. 2.5W with viewfinder(CIPA standard)
- USB Charge/USB Power Supply
- Yes (Shooting, Playback)
- BATTERY LIFE(STILL IMAGES)(CIPA)
- Monitor:Approx. 240 / Approx. 120min., Monitor (When Auto Monitor off is set to 2sec):Approx. 310 / Approx. 155min., ViewFinder:Approx. 220 / Approx. 110min.
- BATTERY LIFE(MOVIES ACTUAL SHOOTING)(CIPA)
- Monitor:Approx. 40min., ViewFinder:Approx. 40min.
- BATTERY LIFE(MOVIES CONTINUOUS SHOOTING)(CIPA)
- Monitor:Approx. 75min., ViewFinder:Approx. 70min.
- PlayMemories Camera Apps
- Photo Creativity
- Shooting Functions
- Eye AF,Face Detection,Face Registration,Still Image Recording (during movie recording),Smile shutter,Grid Line,Quick Navi,Digital Level Gauge (pitch and roll),WB Bracket,DRO Bracketing,MF Assist,Peaking,Zebra,Marker Display,Micref Level,Step Zoom / Quick Zoom,Self-portrait timer,TC/UB,Photographer Name & Copyright,ISO Auto Minimum Shutter Speed,PC Remote Control,Gamma Disp. Assist,[Mov]AF Track Sensitivity,[Mov]AF Drive Speed,Set File Name,Touch Shutter,My Menu
- Playback Functions
- BRAVIA Sync(Control for HDMI),9/25-frame index view,Auto Orientation,Slide Show,Forward/Rewind (Movie),Delete,Protect,Motion Shot Video,Beatuty Effect,Photo Capture,Rating,Automatic Image Rotation,Cont Shoot Grouping
- TRILUMINOS Color
- 4K image output
- Operating Temperature
- 0 degrees C. - +40 degrees C. / 32 degrees F. - 104 degrees F.
- Exif Print,PRINT Image Matching (PIM3)
Size & Weight
- DIMENSIONS (W X H X D) (APPROX.)
- 101.6x58.1x42.8 mm(4 in. × 2 3/8 in. × 1 11/16 in.)
- WEIGHT (CIPA COMPLIANT)
- Approx. 301g (10.7oz.)(Battery and Memory Card are included) / Approx. 274g (9.7oz.)(Body Only)
What's In The Box
- Rechargeable Battery Pack NP-BX1,AC Adaptor,Micro USB cable,Wrist Strap,strap adapter,Instruction Manual
A pocket-size camera with full zoom range
The camera's no-compromise, 24-200mm optics deliver superb image quality, which combined with high speed and pocket-sized portability makes it ideal for travel shooting or flexible professional work by even the most demanding users. In addition, Clear Image Zoom lets you further enlarge the centre of the image digitally up to twice as much (400mm equivalent) with almost no image degradation.
High-resolution, compact optical design
New optics for the RX100 VI include eight aspherical lens elements with 13 aspherical surfaces for high resolution to the edge of the image, across the zoom range. Four AA (advanced aspherical) lenses correct spherical and coma aberrations, and two ED glass elements suppress aberration, for high resolution even in the higher zoom range.
Large apertures, great range of expression
Small F-numbers throughout the zoom range make it easy to achieve fast shutter speeds and large amounts of bokeh. Even at a focal length of 100mm, the maximum aperture stays at F4. This can reduce blurring in shots of fast-moving subjects, and it can also help portrait shots, where the subject will stand out against a high degree of background bokeh.
Advances in image stabilisation deliver the equivalent of a 4.0-stop faster shutter speed at 200mm, compensating for camera shake during hand-held shooting even in telephoto or low-light conditions. Combined with the highly sophisticated optics design and advanced image processing engine, this contributes to the camera's excellent image quality.  SteadyShot OFF  SteadyShot ON
Exmor RS™ 1.0-type stacked CMOS image sensor for speed
The 315-point focal-plane phase-detection AF provides extraordinarily fast, precise autofocus and tracking. Furthermore, the 20.1 MP (effective) 1.0-type stacked CMOS image sensor with DRAM chip enables up to 960 fps super-slow-motion shooting—and an up to 1/32000 sec. super-high-speed anti-distortion shutter.
High-speed BIONZ X™ image processing engine
With faster processing speed than its predecessor, the advanced BIONZ X image processing engine contributes to the camera's high image quality, supporting improved AF/AE detection, processing speed, face and eye detection speed and accuracy, and minimised time lag on the viewfinder display.
High-speed AF at 0.03 sec
Fast Hybrid AF responds in a super-fast 0.03-sec, seamlessly integrating the superlative speed and tracking of focal-plane phase-detection AF with high-accuracy contrast AF. It boosts the camera’s abilities to focus, track and capture sharp, clear still images of subjects in all situations, even in the middle of fast dynamic action.
Steadfast tracking with wide and dense AF
The RX100 VI's 315 focal-plane phase-detection AF points cover approx. 65% of the image area, for coverage that quickly captures even small or fast-moving subjects. This works in conjunction with High-density AF Tracking Technology, densely concentrating AF points around the subject to significantly boost tracking performance of moving subjects.  AF points that appear on actual screen  AF algorithm (not shown on actual screen)
Eye AF with excellent tracking performance
High-precision Eye AF, combined with high-performance AF tracking, provides helpful assistance with portrait shooting. It's effective even when the subject is looking down and away, or when faces are backlit or in partial darkness, and it keeps the focus on moving subjects' eyes when using the AF-C setting.
AF-A automatically switches focus modes
In AF-A mode, according to such changes as sudden subject movement and brightness as detected throughout the shooting frame, the camera automatically switches between AF-S mode (Single AF: locks focus while the shutter button is pressed halfway) and AF-C mode (Continuous AF: keeps focusing on subjects while the shutter button is pressed halfway).
Easy, natural Touch Focus and Touch Pad AF
With Touch Focus you can simply touch the LCD at the point of the image you want to focus on, so you can intuitively focus on subjects even at the edge of the frame, without reframing, for both still shots and movies. When using the viewfinder, use Touch Pad AF to shift focus smoothly and easily, simply by sliding your finger across the LCD screen.
Shoot at 24fps with AF/AE tracking
The powerful combination of the Exmor RS 1.0-type image sensor and the BIONZ X image processing engine enables continuous shooting with AF/AE tracking at up to approx. 24fps for up to 233 frames. Key moments and fast action can be reliably captured.
Upgraded continuous shooting operability
Continuously shot images can be displayed in the groups in which they were shot, and shots can be deleted or protected with one quick operation. Camera operability while data is being written to the memory card has also been improved; now there is full access to the Fn Menu and the menu button, and settings can be changed.
Silent shooting for sensitive situations
You can mute the camera's shutter sound in noise-sensitive settings, such as gatherings in quiet restaurants or cafes. The shutter sound can be muted even during continuous shooting.
Fast data readout from the Exmor RS image sensor noticeably reduces distortion in images of fast-moving subjects such as a golf club being swung quickly. The Anti-distortion electronic shutter achieves shutter speeds as fast as 1/32000 sec.
Fast Hybrid AF for movies
Fast Hybrid AF also delivers precision tracking when shooting 4K movies. Phase-detection AF is effective over the same wide area as with still images, contributing to smoother focusing. AF drive speed and AF tracking sensitivity are also adjustable, so focus transitions can be tuned to match the scene and your creative intention.
4K movies recorded at full pixel readout
When shooting 4K (QFHD resolution: 3840 x 2160) movies with full pixel readout without pixel binning, the camera collects approx. 1.7 times as much information as is required for basic 4K movie output. This oversampling effect results in images of outstanding resolution with reduced moiré and jaggies.
Supports the needs of HDR movie production
The RX100 VI serves a wide range of HDR production needs, with S-Log3, as well as S-Log2 gamma curves for colour grading in post-production, and with HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) recording capability, the RX100 VI makes it easy to immediately enjoy, without extra processing, HDR images, simply by connecting the camera to a HLG-compatible Sony TV via a USB cable.
Super slow motion up to 40x slower
The stacked CMOS sensor enables an extra-high frame rate of up to 960fps. Shooting at 200mm telephoto, it’s possible to record impressive close-up super slow motion footage. Shooting frame rate and recording setting can be set independently for 4x to 40x super slow motion footage.
Movie support for professional workflows
For more advanced shooting and production, the RX100 VI supports and is compatible with various movie functions typically found in equipment for professional use, including Picture Profile, Gamma Display Assist, Zebra, clean HDMI output, TC/UB, Rec Control, Marker functions, and Proxy recording for simple net-based sharing and transferring to smartphones.
Touch Shutter feature for easy shooting
For the first time in the RX series, the shutter can be operated by touching the LCD monitor, which now swings up 180° and down around 90°. Operation is intuitive and convenient, especially when shooting scenes from high or low angles.
Extend still-frame capacity up to 30%
With the camera body power switched ON, the LCD monitor can be automatically switched OFF (either 2, 5 or 10 seconds after its last operation) to save power. Using this function can boost the maximum number of still frames that can be shot by up to about 30%.
One-push Access EVF
Depressing the viewfinder pop-up switch on the side of the body makes the viewfinder instantly available with just a single action, and the viewfinder can be instantly retracted when not in use.
XGA OLED Tru-Finder™
The retractable Tru-Finder electronic viewfinder’s sharp resolution (2.35-milliion-dot-equivalent), bright self-illumination and high contrast are excellent for previewing shots and adjusting settings accordingly. EVF eyepiece optics are treated with ZEISS® T* Coating to reduce unwanted reflections and ensure corner-to-corner visibility.
Tactile and smooth control interface
A lens-mounted control ring permits pro-style manual controls such as selection of shutter speed, aperture, and more, for added creative control. Additionally, the zoom lever has been redesigned for maximum operability of the zoom lens, which is now controlled in two steps by the inclination of the zoom lever.
My Menu your way
With My Menu, you can register menu items for instant recall and customise menus. The menu screen has been redesigned, and you can make button assignments for up to 30 functions to retool the camera interface according to your shooting preferences.
Location Information Link via Bluetooth®
Location Information Link makes the most of the RX100 VI. The camera can be paired with the Imaging Edge Mobile app on a compatible mobile device to acquire location data, record it on still images, and correct camera date/time and location.
One-touch remote/One-touch sharing
With one-touch remote, a smartphone or tablet functions as a viewfinder/remote control. One-touch sharing transfers photos/videos to the device. Just install the Imaging Edge Mobile app via Wi-Fi® to an NFC-enabled Android™ device, then touch the device to the camera to connect them. QR code compatibility allows connection with non-NFC smartphones.
Convenient on-location rating and sorting
Ratings from 1 to 5 stars can be retained when images are imported into PlayMemories Home or the new Sony imaging software suite running on a PC, and this function and an image protect function can be assigned to a custom button. In-camera ratings and protection can be applied, reviewed, and changed while you're on location or traveling.
Imaging Edge™ Remote, Viewer, and Edit
Elevate your photography with Imaging Edge desktop applications. Use "Remote" to control and monitor shooting live on your PC screen; "Viewer" to quickly preview, rate, and select photos from large image libraries; and "Edit" to develop RAW data into high-quality photos for delivery. Get the best from Sony RAW files, and manage your productions more efficiently.
Works with iMovie and Final Cut Pro X
This product is compatible with Final Cut Pro X and iMovie.
Capture One (for Sony)
Capture One Express (for Sony) is a free award-winning image editing software that provides high-end image quality RAW development, easy management of your image files, and powerful editing tools. Capture One Pro (for Sony) can be bought for even more editing tools and tethered shooting capability.