Full Specifications & Features
- Sensor Type
- 1.0-type (13.2mm x 8.8mm) Exmor R CMOS sensor, aspect ratio 3:2
- Number of Pixels (Effective)
- Approx. 20.1 Megapixels
- Lens type
- ZEISS Vario-Sonnar T* Lens, 10 elements in 9 groups (9 aspheric elements including AA lens)
- F-number (Maximum Aperture)
- Auto / On(3 steps) / Off
- Focal length
- ANGLE OF VIEW (35MM FORMAT EQUIVALENT) (STILL IMAGE)
- Focus Range (From the Front of the Lens)
- iAuto: AF (W: Approx. 5cm (0.17 ft.) to Infinity, T: Approx. 30cm (0.99 ft.) to Infinity) / Program Auto: AF (W: Approx. 5cm (0.17 ft.) to Infinity, T: Approx.30cm (0.99 ft.) to Infinity)
- Optical Zoom
- Clear Image Zoom (Still Image)
- 20M Approx. 5.8x / 10M Approx. 8.2x / 5M Approx. 11x / VGA Approx. 44x
- Clear Image Zoom (Movie)
- Approx. 5.8x
- Digital Zoom (Still Image)
- 20M Approx.11x / 10M Approx.16x / 5M Approx.23x / VGA Approx.44x
- Digital Zoom (Movie)
- Screen Type
- 7.5cm(3.0type)(4:3) / 1,228,800 dots / Xtra Fine / TFT LCD
- Adjustable Angle
- Up by approx. 180degrees, down by approx. 45degrees
- Display Selector (Finder/Lcd)
- MS Assist Magnification
- Touch Panel
- Screen Type/Number of Dots
- 0.39-type electronic viewfinder(OLED), 1,440,000dots
- Field Coverage
- Approx. 0.59x with 50mm lens at infinity, -1m-1(diopter) (35mm equiv.)
- Eye Point
- Approx.20mm from the eyepiece, 19.2mm from the eyepiece frame at -1m-1(diopter) (CIPA standard)
- Dioptre Adjustment
- -4.0 to +3.0m-1
- Brightness Control
- Auto, Manual(5steps)
- Image Processing Engine
- yes (BIONZ X)
- Optical, For movie: Intelligent Active Mode, Optical type with electronic compensation, Anti Rolling type
- Focus Type
- Contrast detection AF
- Focus Mode
- Single-shot AF,Continuous AF,DMF,Manual Focus
- Focus Area
- Wide,Center,Flexible Spot (S/M/L),Lock on AF(Wide/Center/Flexible Spot(S/M/L))
- LOCK ON AF
- Light Metering Mode
- Multi Pattern,Center Weighted,Spot
- Exposure Compensation
- +/- 3.0EV, 1/3EV step
- ISO Sensitivity (Still Image)(Recommended Exposure Index)
- Auto(ISO125-12800, selectable with upper / lower limit),125/160/200/250/320/400/500/640/800/1000/1250/1600/2000/2500/3200/4000/5000/6400/8000/10000/12800 (Extendableto ISO80/100),Multi-Frame NR:Auto(ISO125-12800), 200/400/800/1600/3200/6400/12800/25600
- ISO Sensitivity (Movie)
- Auto:(ISO125Level-ISO12800Level, selectable with upper / lower limit), 125/160/200/250/320/400/500/640/800/1000/1250/1600/2000/2500/3200/4000/5000/6400/8000/10000/12800
- Minimum Illumination (Movie)
- Auto:1.2lux(Shutter Speed 1/30")
- White Balance Modes
- Auto,Daylight,Shade,Cloudy,Incandescent,Fluor.: Warm White,Fluor.: Cool White,Fluor.: Day White,Fluor.: Daylight,Flash,Underwater Auto,C.Temp./Filter,Custom
- WB Micro Adjustment
- Shutter Speed
- iAuto(4" - 1/2000) / Program Auto(1" - 1/2000) / Manual(Bulb, 30" - 1/2000) / Aperture Priority(8" - 1/2000) / Shutter Priority(30" - 1/2000)
- iAuto(F1.8/F11(W)) / Program Auto(F1.8/F11(W)) / Manual(F1.8/F11(W)) / Shutter Priority(F1.8/F11(W)) / Aperture Priority(F1.8/F11(W))
- Image Control
- Contrast,Saturation,Sharpness,Creative Style,Color Space(sRGB / Adobe RGB),Quality(RAW / RAW&JPEG / Extra fine / Fine / Standard)
- Noise Reduction
- Long exposure NR:On/Off, available of shutter speeds longer than 1/3 sec.,high ISO NR:Normal/Low/Off,Multi Frame NR: Auto, ISO200-25600
- Dynamic Range Functions
- Off, Dynamic Range Optimizer (Auto/Level 1-5), Auto High Dynamic Range: Off, Auto Exposure Difference, Exposure difference Level (1.0-6.0EV, 1.0EV step)
- Shooting Mode
- Superior Auto,Intelligent Auto,Program Auto,Aperture Priority,Shutter Speed Priority,Manual Exposure,MR(Memory Recall) 1,2,3,Movie Mode(Program Auto, Aperture Priority, Shutter Speed Priority, Manual Exposure),Panorama,Scene Selection
- Scene Selection
- Portrait,Sports Action,Macro,Landscape,Sunset,Night Scene,Handheld Twilight,Night Portrait,Anti Motion Blur,Pet Mode,Gourmet,Fireworks,High Sensitivity
- Continuous Shooting Speed (maximum) (with max. recording pixels)
- Speed Priority Continuous Shooting: approx. 10 fps, Continuous Shooting: approx. 2.9 fps (AF-S)
- Off / 10sec. / 2sec. / 3 or 5 consecutive shots with 10sec. delay selectable
- Drive Modes
- Single,Continuous shooting,Speed priority continuous shooting,Self-timer,Self-timer(cont.),Single-bracketing,Cont.-bracketing,White balance bracketing,DRO bracketing
- Panorama (Shooting)
- Sweep Panorama
- Picture Effect
- [Still Image]Toy camera, Pop Color, Posterization, Retro Photo, Soft High-key, Partial Color, High Contrast Mono., Soft Focus, HDR Painting, Richtone Monochrome, Miniature, Watercolor, Illustration, [Movie]Toy camera, Pop Color, Posterization, Retro Photo, Soft High-key, Partial Color, High Contrast Mono.
- Creative Style
- Standard, Vivid, Neutral, Clear, Deep, Light, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, Night Scene, Autumn Leaves, Black & White, Sepia, Style Box
- Number of Recognised Scenes
- Still Image:Superior Auto: 44 / iAuto: 33,Movie:44
- Flash Mode
- Auto / Flash On / Slow Synchro / Rear Sync / Flash Off
- Flash Type
- Built-in, manual pop-up
- AF Illuminator
- Auto / Off
- Flash Range
- ISO Auto: Approx.0.4m to 10.2m (1.31 ft. to 33.46 ft.) (W) / Approx. 0.4m to 6.5m (1.31 ft. to 21.33 ft.) (T), ISO12800: up to Approx. 20.4m (66.93 ft.) (W) / Approx. 13.0m (42.65 ft.) (T)
- Compatible Recording Media
- Memory Stick Duo,Memory Stick PRO Duo,Memory Stick PRO Duo(High Speed),Memory Stick PROHG Duo,Memory Stick Micro,Memory Stick Micro (Mark2),Memory Stick XC-HG Duo,SD Memory Card,SDHC Memory Card(UHS-I),SDXC Memory Card(UHS-I),microSD Memory Card,microSDHC Memory Card,microSDXC Memory Card
- Recording Format
- Still Image:JPEG(DCF Ver.2.0,Exif Ver.2.3,MPF Baseline compliant), RAW (Sony ARW 2.3 format),Movie:XAVC S,Movie:AVCHD format Ver.2.0 compatible,Movie:MP4
- Recording Format (Movie Audio)
- XAVC S:LPCM 2ch,AVCHD:Dolby Digital(AC-3) 2ch(Dolby Digital Stereo Creator),MP4:MPEG-4 AAC-LC 2ch
- Colour Space (Still)
- sRGB, Adobe RGB
- Still Image Number of recorded pixels (Image Size)
- 3:2mode:20M(5,472×3,648) / 10M(3,888×2,592) / 5M(2,736×1,824),4:3mode:18M(4,864×3,648) / 10M(3,648×2,736) / 5M(2,592×1,944) / VGA,16:9mode:17M(5,472×3,080) / 7.5M(3,648×2,056) / 4.2M(2,720×1,528),1:1mode:13M(3,648×3,648) / 6.5M(2,544×2,544) / 3.7M(1,920×1,920) ,Sweep Panorama:Wide(12,416×1,856/5,536×2,160),Standard(8,192×1,856/3,872×2,160)
- Movie Recording Mode (NTSC)
- NTSC/PAL Selector: [NTSC] AVCHD: 28M PS(1,920x1,080/60p) / 24M FX(1,920x1,080/60i) / 17M FH(1,920x1,080/60i) / 24M FX(1,920x1,080/24p) / 17M FH(1,920x1,080/24p),XAVC S:60p 50M(1,920x1,080/60p)/30p 50M(1,920x1,080/30p)/24p 50M(1,920x1,080/24p)/120p 50M(1,280x720/120p)/ MP4: 12M(1,440x1,080/30fps) / 3M VGA(640x480/30fps)
- Movie Recording Mode (PAL)
- NTSC/PAL Selector: [PAL] AVCHD: 28M PS(1,920x1,080/50p) / 24M FX(1,920x1,080/50i) / 17M FH(1,920x1,080/50i) / 24M FX(1,920x1,080/25p) / 17M FH(1,920x1,080/25p),XAVC S:50p 50M(1,920x1,080/50p)/25p 50M(1,920x1,080/25p)/100p 50M(1,280x720/100p)/ MP4: 12M(1,440x1,080/25fps) / 3M VGA(640x480/25fps)
- Input and Output Terminals
- Multi/Micro USB Terminal, Hi-Speed USB (USB2.0), Micro HDMI
- NFC forum Type 3 Tag compatible, One-touch remote, One-touch sharing
- Yes(IEEE802.11b/g/n(2.4GHz band))
- Power source
- DC3.6V(supplied battery) / DC5.0V(supplied AC Adaptor)
- Battery System
- Rechargeable battery pack NP-BX1
- Power Consumption (Camera Mode)
- Approx. 1.7W with LCD monitor and approx. 2.3W with viewfinder(CIPA standard)
- USB Charge/USB Power Supply
- Yes (Shooting, Playback)
- BATTERY LIFE(STILL IMAGES)(CIPA)
- Monitor:Approx. 320 / Approx. 160min., ViewFinder:Approx. 230 / Approx. 115min.
- BATTERY LIFE(MOVIES ACTUAL SHOOTING)(CIPA)
- Monitor:Approx. 50min., ViewFinder:Approx. 50min. (In [MP4 12M] mode, max. continuous shooting time is approx. 15 min. and max. file size is 2GB)
- BATTERY LIFE(MOVIES CONTINUOUS SHOOTING)(CIPA)
- Monitor:Approx. 85min., ViewFinder:Approx. 90min. (In [MP4 12M] mode, max. continuous shooting time is approx. 15 min. and max. file size is 2GB)
- PlayMemories Camera Apps
- Shooting Functions
- Eye AF,Face Detection,Face Registration,Smile shutter,Quick Navi,Digital Level Gauge (pitch and roll),WB Bracketing,DRO Bracketing,MF Assist,Peaking,Zebra,Micref Level,Step Zoom,Self-portrait timer
- Playback Functions
- BRAVIA Sync(Control for HDMI),9/25-frame index view,Auto Orientation,Slide Show,Forward/Rewind (Movie),Delete,Protect,Motion Shot Video,Beatuty Effect,Automatic Image Rotation
- TRILUMINOS Color
- 4K image output
- yes(still image only)
- Operating Temperature
- 0 degrees C. - +40 degrees C. / 32 degrees F. - 104 degrees F.
- Exif Print,PRINT Image Matching (PIM3)
Size & Weight
- DIMENSIONS (W X H X D) (APPROX.)
- 101.6x58.1x41.0 mm(4 in. × 2 3/8 in. × 1 5/8 in.)
- WEIGHT (CIPA COMPLIANT)
- Approx. 290g (10.2oz.)(Battery and Memory Card are included) / Approx. 263g (9.3oz.)(Body Only)
What's In The Box
- Rechargeable Battery Pack NP-BX1,AC AdaptorAC-UB10C/UB10D,Micro USB cable,Wrist Strap,strap adapter,Instruction Manual
20.1MP (effective) 1.0"-type Exmor R CMOS sensor
The 1.0"-type Exmor R back-illuminated CMOS sensor ensures bright, clear detail in all your photos and video. Sony's special back-illuminated design permits four times better light capture by moving light-blocking wire circuitry to the back side of the sensor.
BIONZ™ X for superior detail and texture
All digital cameras need to convert the light captured by their sensor to a beautiful digital photograph. The engine that powers this conversion is just as important as your lens and a high-resolution sensor--so Sony developed the remarkable BIONZ™ X processor, allowing more natural details, more realistic images, richer tonal gradations, and lower noise while shooting both photos and movies.
ZEISS® Vario-Sonnar T* 24-70mm F1.8-2.8 lens
The 24mm wide-angle gets more of the scene—ideal for architecture and landscapes, while the 70mm setting (at a bright F2.8) is great for portraits, close-ups (30cm distance), and creative background blurring. Leveraging over 150 years of experience in precision optics, the ZEISS lens gives your recordings intense contrast and sharpness, free from glare and reflection thanks to an advanced multi-layer coating.
Shoot better with built-in electronic viewfinder
The built-in electronic viewfinder offers more accurate and engaged photo composition, especially in bright lighting. An eye sensor allows instant switching between the viewfinder and LCD screen for convenient, intuitive shooting.
Area-specific noise reduction
Area-specific noise reduction selectively divides the image into areas based on patterns (such as edges, textures and evenly coloured areas like blue sky), and then applies the most appropriate noise reduction for each area to improve image quality, especially at high-sensitivity settings.
Detail reproduction and diffraction reduction
Utilize the full performance of your sensor and lenses. Detail reproduction technology prevents the overemphasized outlines that plague most digital images. Diffraction reduction suppresses the effects of diffraction, which causes points of light to appear blurred especially at small aperture settings (large F-numbers).
50 Mbps in XAVC S handles fast-moving scenes
The high-bit-rate XAVC S format is provided for videographers ready to take their work to the next level. Delivering incredible quality, XAVC S is built from the XAVC format used by professional movie makers and broadcasters, while employing intelligent data compression to bring about consumer-friendly editing and file sizes.
Choose from XAVC S and AVCHD recording formats
The high bit-rate XAVC S format enables Full HD image recording at 50Mbps for extremely high-quality expression and minimal noise.Additionally, you can shoot Full HD with AVCHD, then easily edit that format in many different programs.
Full-pixel readout reduces artifacts
By using the power and speed of the BIONZ X processing engine to read the data from all of the image sensor’s pixels at high speed, artifacts are effectively suppressed so that a non-jagged, high-resolution image is captured. The end result is video clarity superior to even expensive full frame DLSR models.
Take great portraits with Eye Autofocus
Eye Autofocus makes taking the perfect portrait much easier. A challenge of professional-style portraiture with beautifully blurred background is keeping the eyes in perfect focus. Sony's Eye Autofocus feature takes care of this complexity, letting you concentrate on capturing your subject at the just the right moment.
Lock-on autofocus tracks moving subjects
Having a hard time maintaining needle-sharp focus as your subject moves into--or out of--the frame, turns away from the camera, or even has objects such as trees come between you and them? Lock-on autofocus solves all these challenges, whether you are capturing your kids in the backyard, or shooting professional ski movies.
Manual focus options for creative control
Sometime you want more creative control than is possible on auto settings. Manual Focus (MF) mode is the answer. Features such as MF Assist (enlarging the image) and Peaking (highlighting edges in focus) make it easy to incorporate manual focus in your shooting when you desire that added flexibility.
180-degree tiltable LCD screen for flexible composition
High resolution 3.0" screen with tilt capability allows perfect framing of otherwise impossible over-head or low-angle shots.
Multiple recording formats provide video versatility
Shoot to suit, with a range of video formats available. Capture using the high bitrate AVCHD or XAVC S codec for editing and playback on big screens; or choose the MP4 mode for quick uploading and sharing.
View your 4K photos on the big screen
Display your photos and videos beautifly on a Sony 4K television for easier enjoyment with family and friends. HDMI cable ports allow simple, fast connections.
Support for PlayMemories Camera Apps
Enjoy a camera that gets more functional with time. Choose from the growing range of PlayMemories Camera Apps, for remote control, picture and video effects and much more. Installation is simple using your computer or the camera's own Wi-Fi connection. Check out all the apps at https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.com (note: may not be available in all regions)
Control ring and Custom button
Convenient lens-mounted control ring lets you select shutter speed, aperture, and more for added creative control—another feature making this camera ready for serious photographers. Additionally, customizable buttons allow you to program 42 possible functions to best adapt the camera’s capabilities to your shooting style.
One-touch remote and one-touch sharing
One-touch remote lets you use your smartphone or tablet as a viewfinder and remote control for a digital camera, and one-touch sharing lets you transfer your photos and videos from your camera. Either way, by installing Imaging Edge Mobile app to your NFC enable Android smartphone or tablet, you can avoid complex set-up sequences and establish wireless connection simply by touching your device to the camera. You are now ready to control your camera from your smartphone to take a photo from a previously out-of-reach spot, or simply be in your own group shot, as well as transfer them instantly to your smartphone for sharing on SNS. No NFC? No problem. You can also pair the devices manually.
Capture One (for Sony)
Capture One Express (for Sony) is a free award-winning image editing software that provides high-end image quality RAW development, easy management of your image files, and powerful editing tools. Capture One Pro (for Sony) can be bought for even more editing tools and tethered shooting capability.
Works with iMovie and Final Cut Pro X
This product is compatible with Final Cut Pro X and iMovie.
Imaging Edge™ Viewer and Edit
Elevate your photography with Imaging Edge desktop applications. Use "Viewer" to quickly preview, rate, and select photos from large image libraries; and "Edit" to develop RAW data into high-quality photos for delivery. Get the best from Sony RAW files, and manage your productions more efficiently.